– Wear clothes that fit you well. Clothes that are too baggy or too tight just do not look good on camera.
– Think color palettes. You two don’t have to be matchy-matchy. In fact we don’t recommend that. But wearing colors that work well together and are in the same color palette looks great in a photo. Avoid high contrasts between your outfits (like girl wears white and boy wears black). It looks best on camera for you two to both wear darks or lights or mid-tones.
– Also avoid wearing clothing with writing on it. Unless its very intentional, leave the logos at home.
– Accessorize! Think layers, belts, hats, scarves, necklaces, cool shoes. Accessories are a good way to add interest to a composition.
– Don’t tuck items in your pants pockets. Leave your cell phones, keys, wallets, pocket knives, ect. in the car.
– Bring an extra outfit or two just in case. You never know when you might spill something on your outfit, or your didn’t expect the weather to be so cold, you have a wardrobe malfunction or the one outfit you brought just doesn’t go well with the scenery. Having a backup helps tremendously.
– Most importantly… be yourselves. Your engagement session should showcase and reflect who you are not only in your clothing style but in your personality as well. Remaining true to yourself will help your feel more comfortable during your photo session.
SHOULD WE BRING PROPS?
Absolutely! Anything that might be personal to you two. Save the date signs or signs with your initials on them are all fun ideas to use during an engagement session.
TIPS ON GESTURES THAT SHOW GREAT AFFECTION AND LOOK GOOD ON CAMERA
Guys: look passionately into her eyes, kiss her on the cheek or on the nose or on the forehead.
Girls: when he does, smile or close your eyes
Either: pretend you are on a date and the photographer isn’t there. Whisper sweet nothings (or dirty somethings) in her ear.
Share your vision with us. Is there a certain style or pose that you want to use during your session? We’re game! We love trying new and different things. Share your ideas with us and if its within our power we will make it happen.
ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU
Bring some water to help you stay hydrated and possibly a snack to keep you nourished. Bring a hankie for dabbing perspiring faces. Girls, bring some touch up makeup and a hairbrush just in case you need it.
WHAT IS THE BEST TIME OF DAY FOR AN ENGAGEMENT SESSION?
Photography is all about the light. And the best light is when the sun is low in the sky and the light and shadows blend softly together. The sun is lowest in the sky during sunrise and sunset. But just to be perfectly honest with you, we are not early morning people so we prefer photographing the hour or two before sunset. It’s known as the “Golden Hour” to photographers not only for its soft light but also its warmer, golden tone.